We’ve tuned a good amount of the 1P MK2 Leon’s, this one though, wasn’t as smooth sailing as we’d have liked.
Typically we like to quote 2-3 hours for a remapping session so the customer decided to bring the car to us 09:00 Tuesday morning. After passing all the checks to make sure the car was healthy, we set about reading the ECU then went out to get some benchmark figures.
The figures were pretty much bang on what we’d expect to see. Next it was on to writing our software to the original file we had read earlier and uploading it to the ECU. This is where we hit a problem, the file had uploaded 69% and then failed. We immediately had the option to try and force a recovery, but after several minutes that had failed. It wasn’t a power issue as we always have the car hooked up to a stable voltage supply. First of all we took a copy of the log files from the tool we use and sent it off to the manufacturer to see if they could identify any issues on their end. Then we removed the ECU from the car, opened it up and benched it. Nothing, the computer would not recognise there was an ECU there.
After an hours wait hearing back from the tool manufacturer they had established a software error they hadn’t encountered before. Fortunately they were able to provide a solution to get the ECU responsive so that it could be benched. It meant plugging the ECU back into the car, connecting it back up to a stable voltage supply, loading the software through the OBD port, remove the ECU, bench our software onto it, seal the ECU and install it back in the car.
All in all it was a 6 hour process and there was nothing we could have done to sped it up. The customer was understanding though and was anxious to get out and put it through its paces.
The figures speak for them self! The customer loved the increase in power and although there was more power to be gained through a DPF delete, the customer never had any issue with it so wanted it left in for now.
If you’d like any more info about the Seat Leon MK 2 170TDI click here